Firstly, I have most awesome news – we have a new oven! It’s all shiny and clean and lights up! And it shall be worshipped for the rest of my tenancy 😀
So obviously as soon as it was fitted I leapt for the chance to cook some macaroni and cheese – which I’d been craving all week.
And this version is truly decadent, with a little bit of stilton to give a little kick to the cheese sauce.
1. Firstly you need to cook about 300-400g macaroni, depending on how pasta heavy you like your meals to be.
While that’s cooking you can prepare the sauce and other fillings
For the prawn and onion filling:
- 2 red onions
- 200g prawns
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- pinch of pepper
2. Fry the onions in a frying pan until slightly browned and add the prawns and cook through.
3. Add the garlic, ginger and pepper and mix thoroughly.
4. Take off the heat and set aside.
For the decadent cheese sauce:
- 30g butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 50ml milk
- 150ml cream
- 200g mature cheddar
- 80g stilton
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- 2 tbsp salad cream
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard
5. Heat up a large saucepan and melt the butter on a low heat. Add flour and mix quickly to form a paste.
6. Add the milk and cream in slowly and mix thoroughly to get rid of any lumps.
7. Add the 80g stilton and 100g mature cheddar, followed by the ginger, garlic, basil, salad cream and mustard and keep stirring. If you want a thicker or thinner sauce, add more milk or cheese accordingly.
8. Turn off the hob and mix the macaroni, red onion and prawn mixture into the saucepan. Ensure everything is coated in the cheese sauce.
9. Pour into a large baking dish and top with the remaining cheddar and a couple of handfuls of breadcrumbs to create a crispy topping.
10. Bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
Now you have enough decadent macaroni cheese for 4 greedy portions 😀 I hope you enjoy this seafood version as much as I did.